Monday, August 26, 2013

FIRST RESPONDERS -- ANDREA


 As many of you know, for the past 5 years I have been involved with a ministry called First Responders.  We go to murder sites.  I've been to at least 100.  Couldn't go all the time... sick, a family/schedule issue, out of town... but usually couldn't NOT go.  One of God-jobs.

Some of the FR meetings have been very heart breaking,
I had met the girl who was murdered last year.
aching.  Young kids killed connected to gangs, others killed connected to drug dealing, others murdered by drive-arounders who was fussing with each other and killed someone just because they were frustrated and this person happened to be on a sidewalk or street.  Yes, I was very heart broken at times.


Then this one happened last week.  Andrea was murdered Wednesday morning.  She left her job at a lounge after midnight, headed home to her husband and 3 kids.  Somehow, on the way home, was gunned down, thrown on the highway.  Her car was taken away, and dumped off several miles away, actually not far from my house.

On Thursday, we met out at the murder site, very much out of our normal area.  I immediately met her grandparents and a cousin who came from Kansas City.  Later, I met the other grandmother and Andrea's mom. 

I saw the mom holding the little ones and helping them put flowers at the site.  Many, MANY family and friends arrived.  Much heartbreaking.

I'm in purple.
Towards the end of our prayers with and for and over the people, laying hands on all of Andrea's dear ones as we asked them to stand in the central area so we could surround them.  THEN, several men laid hands on Andrea's husband, prayed for him.  

 THEN, 4 of us ladies laid hands on the Mom and a Grandmom who were to be given prayer shawls.  They had been dropped into my house the day before, and when this God-job hit us, I couldn't NOT take shawls in case someone would be there.  Even though they would be very hot, we knew that the peace and comfort that was inside the shawls would enter the lives of the ones who were buried in sorrow.  That a real blessing.

When I left, I was still filled with sorrow.  I still am.  I'm not a normal crier, but it's happening over and over again on my heart.
BTW, Andrea's mom attended my daughter's church.  The funeral was today and hundreds were there.  I wanted to be, but instead, stayed home.  BUT they were on my heart all day, and will be for a LONG time.  And, of course, we want the ones who killed her to be caught, or have their heart struck so hard by guilt and truth that they will turn themselves in.

Sharing my heart with you.  Thank you.  

Tell Me a Story
 


6 comments:

Sharon said...

Caryjo, oh what a touching post. There is no good death in this life - but having someone willfully taken from you by murder has to be one of the worst. I think the First Responders are doing a great work. Praying for peace and comfort for all the people who knew Andrea, and for those who are touched by her story. May God also bring justice.

GOD BLESS this hurting and fallen world.

Anonymous said...

Oh what an important job you do. So many of these cases now and it seems as fast as we hear about them we forget. But those suffering left behind are grieving an unimaginable sorrow. Thank you for doing this for them. May God richly bless you! Lori

a joyful noise said...

This is tragic and so sad. Yet I am happy that you and your friends who volunteer for this prayer vigil could bring comfort to the family and friends. Thank you for sharing at "Tell Me a Story."

elizabeth said...

What a very difficult, but important ministry you have. You are quite a woman, friend!

Gayle said...

I know it meant everything to the family to have you come, pray and simply care. Such needless tragedy.

Elizabeth said...

Praying also for the salvation of the killers.