Sunday, June 2, 2013

SIMON, ANOTHER UGANDAN SON

When Dave and I were officially at New Hope Uganda ... had been in and out of there for several months before, but were in the Kampala area and just going back and forth a couple days a week ... and now living in a teacher's home, we were so blessed by seeing more and more, day by day.
 


Simon, I would estimate, was in his late teens and his sister was one of the teachers.  He lived in another part of Uganda and arrived about the same time we were there.  He lived with his sister, Sarah, and her husband, Tonny.

One day, just as many others, he came to our door, and talked to Dave.  He had purchased a battery radio in Kampala at a side-shop.  It looked nice.  Wasn't expensive, but wasn't overly cheap.  When he got home and started to use it, it didn't work.  When he opened it, as I recall, there were basic parts that were missing.  So, he had been cheated.  He asked Dave is he could fix it.

Dave did.  He gave it to Simon a day or so later.

A day or so later, on a Saturday morning, Simon showed up our door, dressed in work-out clothes, and asked us what he could do for us, how he could work in our yard.  It was because he appreciated what Dave had done and wanted to repay Dave.  Other than Sam, our Ugandan son who had been dropped into our lives in a very special way about a year earlier, Simon was the only one who had ever offered help in a sense of appreciation.  We were both very astonished and greatly appreciated him.  I definitely was able to show him a couple places in our yard near the banana trees and pineapples where we could use some help.  He did it all.

We were friends from then on.  One funny thing.  I was teaching French to some of the adults/teachers [didn't SPEAK it very well, but was good at teaching the translations, etc.].  We were meeting at a library, and someone had forgotten the key.  This person went to get the key, and the rest of us were hanging out.  I glanced at the side of the library, where there was a pile of dirt surrounded part of the building.  Simon was kneeling there, his back to me, and I couldn't figure out what he was doing.  THEN I saw that he was digging in the dirt and grabbing the insects that the Ugandans, from various locations, would eat.  Can't remember if it was some kind of ant or grasshopper.  I was horrified!!!  Being from the States, that was definitely not something I had seen or thought was OK.  [I could well be wrong, considering protein, etc., but still don't want to do it.]  Anyhow, that is one of my favorite chuckles about Simon.

When we returned there for our son, Sam's, wedding, in September, 1999, we had dinner with Simon when he was one of the "parents" at a home with a number of kids.  While talking with him, he indicated he wanted to be married and he asked us to pray for him.  We held his hands and prayed very sincerely.  Hugged him much.  We truly loved him much.

 It wasn't long before he was married. 







I met his wife and saw children when I was there in late '03, early '04.  Haven't seen him since, personally, but have seen him online, fb, email, etc.  And continue to love him dearly.

He has become quite a worker at the orphanage.  And a dear friend with my dear friends, such as Sam and his wife, Adhe.  So, again, Dave and I are not "Aunt and Uncle" which is the common description of respect in Uganda, but now we are "Mum and Dad".   What a treat!

He was on my heart today, so thought I'd put him on yours, too.

1 comment:

Gayle said...

Oh how wonderful, he has so enriched your life as you have enriched his.