Saturday, June 1, 2013

ALEX PORTION OF UGANDA BOOK

This bit is from chapter two in my book and is fictional in a way, but non-fictional in another.  The original meeting time of Alex was in the Fall of 1995, and he was then a young teen. His serious physical portion is told as truthfully as I can remember and as I was originally told.  Include some photos now, so you'll hopefully understand.  Oh, and one of my favorite photos of Addie and I.  Worth a smile.

While writing, extending, and editing my book, I'm just going to drop pieces out into the world.  Hopefully, it will open and touch hearts.  Encouragement, as people see how the Lord broke through the horrific walls, will be a blessing.  And some will be worth a good laugh... or a cry.  But, either way, ANY way, the Lord must be revealed over and over as our King!!

So, here goes.

==============================================


Cary was walking slowly, and praying, when suddenly she heard a bicycle behind her on the path.  She stepped aside to give the bike space to pass, and as the cyclist glanced at her, he fish-tailed to a muddy stop, exclaiming, “Aunt, Aunt, you have come!”

Cary laughed and reached out to grab his arm.  “Alex!  My heavens, it’s so good to see you.”

Cary and James had met Alex when they lived at the nearby orphanage and needed someone to hand-pump their water from the cistern under their porch to the water tank at the top of their house.  After word spread that Cary and James were looking for help, Alex showed up on their porch, his huge smile and bright eyes contrasting greatly with the burn scars on his face.  He was also missing all the fingers of his left hand.  Cary and James had heard Alex’s story even before they met him.

According to the story, when he was about five years old, he

was pushed into a cook fire at his grandmother’s.  His burns were terrible and he was dumped at the hospital in Kiwoko.  The nurses and doctors took him into their hearts, and provided all they could for him.  Unfortunately, they weren’t able to save his hand and had to amputate the fingers.  Rejected by his family because of the serious needs from his injuries, when he was healed enough to live away from the hospital, he was taken to that orphanage where, years later, he came in contact with Cary and James.  They weren’t sure at first that he would be able to
standing below the water tank
handle the job, but gave him a chance, and Alex proved to be a hard- working, faithful, johnny-on-the-spot young man.  In the six years since she’d seen him, his shoulders had broadened and he’d grown several inches, but the smile and bright eyes hadn’t changed a bit.

“Auntie,” he said, with concern in his voice, “why are you out here?  Why are you not at Uncle Sam’s?”

Cary laughed and shrugged her shoulders.  “Well, Alex, I should be. But, I came for this walk and I have become lost.”

“Oh, Aunt!  You are so funny,” Alex grinned.  “Do not worry.  I will take you.”

Alex had two huge jackfruits strapped to the back of his bike, and immediately started to take them off.  Cary tried to stop him.  “Alex, you can’t do that.  Just let me walk beside you.”

“No, Aunt.  Is OK.  You are not far.  I will put them under the tree and come back. You ride.”

Cary sat gingerly on the back of the bike.  Her clothes were already very dirty.  She was sure this ride was going to make them much worse, splattering mud and muck as Alex pedaled through the puddles and along the paths.  Looking around her, holding onto the bicycle seat with an iron grip, Cary felt like she was a contestant in a reality TV show, and she wasn’t doing very well at the moment.

While Cary concentrated on keeping her balance, Alex moved along confidently.  In fewer than ten minutes, taking paths Cary knew she hadn’t been on, Alex pulled into Sam’s yard.  Addie was returning to the house from Cary’s room, and rushed to Cary and Alex.

“Mum, where did you go?  I just found that you were not here.”


“Sorry to scare you, dear.  I just decided I’d take a walk, and, unfortunately, I got lost.  And then, just as I was really nervous, Alex came by.  Is that God or what?”  Cary ended with a laugh.

Addie smiled.  “You look as if you need to bathe.  I will send Mary with hot water.”

Cary peered down at the skirt of her dress and spread it out for a clearer view.  “Pretty bad.  I’m sorry to say, but when Mary brings the water to me, I’ll give her the dress.  I’ve always done my own laundry, but I’m going to impose on your family this first time.”

“That is good.  Someone will come this morning to help with the wash.  Your dress should be dry by noon.”

Addie turned to Alex.  “Thank you for bringing Mum home.  Would you like to stay for breakfast?”

Alex smiled.  “No thank you, Aunt.  I left jackfruit by Kayanja’s bananas.  I need to get.”

Cary hugged him.  “Thank you, dear Alex, and God bless you.  He sure brought you to my rescue this morning.”

“You are most welcome, Aunt,” Alex said.  “I will come again to see you.”


Tell Me a Story

3 comments:

Simply Beth said...

I look forward to coming back and looking at this. I have to work this morning so off I go...but thank you for sharing with me the cover. (((hugs)))

Unknown said...

Mum, thank u for posting about my son and one of the first students that i taught at NHU together with Jennie D and Alisha. Alex is an amazing young man with such zeal and determination. He was in P.2 in 1995 and later on in 1999, i became his family father in Samuel family. He was always full of joy and a lot energy and enthusiasm despite his past experiences of being abandoned and rejected. Many blessings.

a joyful noise said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful adventures with us here at Tell Me a True Story.