Monday, September 24, 2012

MOROCCO PALM SUNDAY

One of the most amazing experiences I had in Morocco during our prayer walk/ride was the Palm Sunday service in a hotel in Marrakech.  What we were told was that this was the first time a Christian service had been publicly allowed in that nation.  Approximately 400 of us were in the large hotel convention area.  The nations involved were from Europe, Africa, and North America.  Occasionally, out of curiosity, a tourist would pop into the side door .. sometimes bikini-style swimmers.

The service was put together by a spiritual partnership.  The sermon by Pastor Steve Hawthorne from Austin, Texas.  The worship leader?  It was Graham Kendrick from the U.K. [co-founder of the March for Jesus and author of "Shine, Jesus, Shine".]  I would never have imagined this. During the service, the congregation was divided.  One part singing "Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna" while the other part "wailed" "Save Us! Save Us!".  Mix that with dancers and banners, children with palm branches, and circle-the-room processional, and you have the makings of a spirit-enlivening experience.  We KNEW beyond doubt that this was a monumental landmark in the life of Morocco - and ourselves.



In my case, as I thought of it, I attended the most significant service I had in my 35 years with the Lord. [Are these photos good?  No.  The lack of light and movements kept them from being accurately taken.  Oh, well... but wanted to share what I had.]

Now, what do I have left over from it?

We were given side-gifts.  The Underground Church, for want of a better word, made bookmarks from pieces of local cloth and beautiful Christian symbols sewn on them.  Then another gift immediately entered my heart.  When arriving home, I planted that cross-gift into Joseph's arm at a Nativity set.  It hasn't been damaged and it hasn't been moved.  I love it.


This Nativity set is never removed from my curio cabinet.  So every moment-by-moment of every day of the year, Joseph is seen carrying the special cross from Morocco.  Nothing could make me happier.



Tell Me a Story

5 comments:

a joyful noise said...

This is so moving and beautiful, the cooperation of the ministers and the people from all over. The gifts were precious and I love your cross that Joseph is carrying. Thank you for sharing at Tell Me a Story.

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

That cross is just right. What a beautiful memory. So glad you've linked your story with us.

Anonymous said...

I linked up next to you...glad I did...what a beautiful story...what an honor to partake in this special moment...and yes...Christmas year round:) blessings to you~

Floyd said...

That's awesome, Joanne! Man, you are a girl on the go! How inspiring to truly seek the things of God in this life... Thanks.

Gayle said...

Awww...what a beautiful service.