Wednesday, February 1, 2012

DEUTERONOMY 7:26 --- SERIOSITY AGAIN!

This verse jumped out at me a couple days ago, and it's been on my mind, heart, ever since. Here it is, Amplified:

Neither shall you bring an
abomination (an idol) into your house, lest you become an accursed thing like it; but you shall utterly detest and abhor it, for it is an accursed thing.

Considering how it is applied to our present world-days, it might not make any sense to most folks. OR by sticking with it now... when to most people it really doesn't make sense and sounds awfully picky or boring.

Loathsome, detestable are the
definitions connecting abominable and accursed. And a god or idol is someone or something considered to be extremely valuable or important.

Often I think of this. Am I placing someone or something ahead of my Heavenly Father? Am I wo
rried about having a nice house, nice furniture, nice yard, good car, and a family-connected sports team player who wins ... because "less than" would put us lower in our society... Christian society, too.

Am I allowing certain DVDs, songs, TV shows, I-Net programs to enter my house, my heart, my mind... ones that will fill me with ungodly thoughts and dreams, hopes and plans for the future?

Will I be on alert at all times to be certain that no one brings th
ose elements into my home?

Could I place my loving husband over my Lord? What a spiritually dangerous move that would be! Dave would cry, loudly, "NO!", and be horribly upset that I would put him first.

Another example: Back in the
'92 stretch, we had two ladies living with us. Both were in their 30s and both solid Christians. One of our house rules we laid before them was that we did not allow anyone in our home to watch any TV programs or videos that were rated "R". Their comment? "But we are adults. We should be allowed to choose what we want to watch." OUR comment: "Not here." [When I think of what "R" rated is today, compared to 20 years ago, that's a real challenge.] And Dave and I still are pressured by some people to be more flexible about what we're willing to watch.

And what about so many other things? It depends on the families, regions, states, nations... their focus on anything, anywhere, anytime-- except for our Heavenly Father and our Dear Lord Jesus
.

So, here's my question. Where and how do you deal or struggle with this one?

1 comment:

a joyful noise said...

I knew a woman who destroyed some treasures - works of art because she was worried that they might contain a spirit from those who made the art work. To her it was important, but to me it seemed silly. We must go by our instructions from the Father even if they are silly to others, including me.