Saturday, August 13, 2011

BHUTANESE GREAT-GRANDCHILD

What a day! I took Mandira and Pemba to the hospital at 4 AM yesterday. I had slept a bit for the 3 hours before they started calling me at 2 AM to contact the hospital for them and find out what to do, since Mandira was having contractions. So, I was the inbetweener until the delivery nurse said to come in.

Well, the whole day was filled with the combination of lots and lots and next to nothing. I came home at 2 in the afternoon to take a shower and pick up Pemba's sister. I'd been told the baby would arrive between 8 and 9.

That nurse was wrong!! Mandira had really
hit the extreme pain element. I have the treasure of a bruise on my hand that she was holding... I had told her much earlier she was free to hold my hand as hard as needed. [If I could, I'd take a photo of the bruise and frame it forever!]

For the first time in my life I was involved in the final few minutes before the baby came out. Mandira was gri
pping my hand and I was also rubbing her forehead. Then I was assigned by the doctor to count to 10 for her during the "pushing" time. Every time he nodded I did it again. So, I think I counted to 10 at least 10 times. Glad I knew how!!

And then I saw the baby's head come out. WOW!! And "baby girl" officially became Prasansa ... the Nepali word for "praise".

Details: 12:33 AM; 7 lks 9 oz.; 19 inches. Comment: considering that Mandira was very small -- starting the pregnancy at 93 lbs, 5 feet and with a very short and thin husband -- it was not at all anticipated that Prasamsa would be this large, which may have well added to the pain level!

I came home a little past 1 AM, got to bed at 2, and slept most of the time until nearly 11. Was exhausted, wh
ich should be very understandable.

Mandira and Pemba adopted me as a grandmother
shortly after their arrival here last October. I've definitely adored them and they have so much respect and appreciation for me. [They feel the same about Dave, but he isn't in their faces nearly as often as I am.]

Couldn't NOT
send this around and about. They and others have so changed my life this past year. God has been so gracious to me.




3 comments:

S. Etole said...

Congratulations to all ... love all that dark hair. And her name is perfect.

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

Lucky you! What a delicious experience you had. Thank you so much for sharing these precious photos.

Beth said...

Congratulations great-grandma!
What a wonderful, blessed experience! You are special indeed! :>)