Saturday, October 2, 2010

MARY MAGDALENE

Early one morning, after another tormented night, I was sitting on a rock overlooking the lake. I heard a sound on the shore behind me. I think I knew who it was even before I turned. My heart began beating so hard it drowned out the sound of the waves lapping against the shore and the crying of the gulls. I wanted to run, but my legs wouldn't move. All he said was "Mary" and he touched my shoulder and I crumpled at his feet and cried. All the agony of my life poured out in those tears. I cried till there was nothing left. And all that time, Jesus said nothing, did nothing. Just waited. Then He lifted me to my feet, cupped my face in His hands, and looked into my eyes with great compassion.

And suddenly the air around us became filled with rebuke, yet I knew he wasn't rebuking me. And he said quietly, but with supreme authority, "Satan, you have harbored your demons in Mary's life, but you have no right to stay. Leave now and never return."

And one by one, my tormentors left. I don't know how to explain it, but I saw them leave, like shadows passing across the sun, or smoke across a glass. And, the darkness in my soul was replaced by dazzling brightness. The wall encasing my heart shattered and I was free. .... Free to love, free to serve, free to follow.....

==================
In 1981, I had written a series of vignettes, beginning with what I posted for the "broken" carnival.

In 1985, I wrote a Mary Magdalene monologue as part of a Lenten service series. What I post for the next carnival is a follow-up to this portion of the monologue. I have been blessed to share it a number of times over the years during church services or women's events, and it's a real joy. The monologue, as scenes/events change, is intermingled with instrumental music [written and played by my husband], and one vocal song which will be the next post; I wrote the lyrics, he wrote the melody.

No comments: