Saturday, June 22, 2013

PHIL. 2:13 --- MY "SALVATION" VERSE




When I think of all the things the Lord dropped into my life after my salvation, when I was heading to 21,  ... significant cleansing [leaving alcoholism and a sinful lifestyle, filth poured out of my heart and brain] ... He opened some doors of serving and praying with/for others, teaching/preaching.  Gradually, over time, the blessings increased over and over again... as did His requirement that I serve and obey Him FIRST.

This photo always stands out to me as a time that I was in the "right place, right time".  In 2003, God had sent me to Soroti, Uganda, to help some people when the Joseph Kony, LRA, had invaded their area.  One of my dear Soroti pastors, Joseph, popped into my office one day and said, "Come!"  No option to do anything but go with him, wherever that would be.

He took me to a church ground that had piles of people on the verandas, just living there since escaping from the rebels.  He took me directly to this "porch".  On the way, he had told me they needed blankets, charcoal, basic foods.  Wanted me to provide for them.  They had been there for more than 2 months and had almost nothing.

This family was not much different than others.  BUT what WAS different is that the mother was dying.  She was a Christian.  Her husband and two of her boys had been killed during the rebel fighting.  Her abdomen was filled with water and tumors.  The hospital had drained her previously, but it came back.

Joseph introduced me, grabbed my camera, and said, "Pray for her."  What could I possibly say?  What DID I say?  Don't know.  I just sat on the porch, held her hand, and prayed the Love of God over her, so far as I know.  

When Joseph and I went shopping afterwards, getting piles of food and
blankets and charcoal, we went back and unloaded his car and rushed out so we wouldn't be grabbed by the others.  

Couldn't do it for everyone.  Wanted to, of course.

Do I know the consequences?  Only one.  She died two months later.  Her children have been on my heart ever since, even though I knew no names.  I DID see the anger in their eyes.  You can, too.  So, our prayer included ... from hearts, not our mouths... that the hatred being planted in them would decrease to love.

As sad as it was to see the sorrow, the anger, the almost certain-sure consequence that her death was coming, and her children left behind, spread to other relatives, most likely... I was truly blessed to be used by the Lord for that short time, holding her hand.   I am looking forward to seeing her in heaven.

Now, when glancing through a variety of verses today, this one jumped in.  The reason?  I'm prepping to leave home on June 30th.  Driving from Omaha to the Northwest. A fun time at Yellowstone with a grandson who is going to be with me on the way out. Then visiting family, friends, and meeting new ones, too.  I originally PLANNED to be there until around July 18th, then hitting the road to come back home... because I desperately miss my husband after a couple weeks.  The Lord has said, over and over again, that I am to stay out there several days longer.  Hasn't told me exactly where I will be.  He has people He wants me to meet, some I can see for the first time in many years since going to high school [graduated 50 years ago], sharing His Word.  So, I won't be home until very near the end of July.

So the verse again, laid on me Friday, April 15, 1966 at 6:30 PM, was exactly that:  God is at work within you, helping you want to obey Him, and then helping you do what He wants.


Not much else counts... forever and ever.

Oh, and a truly fun thing that will happen when I'm out there... my 68th birthday is July 9th.  The day before with family in Seattle, and the birthday riding around the Columbia River with family, hanging out at Multnomah Falls, going to Klickitat, etc., and then having a birthday party at in Clatskanie.  It's been 19 years since I've been out at that exact time.  The only sad part?  My dear husband will be here, not there.
Tell Me a Story

4 comments:

elizabeth said...

Wonderful!!!

a joyful noise said...

God's time table is best to follow. Thank you for sharing at "Tell me a Story."

Lydia said...

What a great verse! He wants us to obey :)

Floyd said...

What a heartbreaking story... I'm certain God used you in a way that has some impact on those kids who are now not so small. Thanks for giving a piece of your heart to that family... they carry it with them, it is a gift from God.