Wednesday, June 26, 2013

JEANS.. AND GOD!!

Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah, 1998
This, obviously, is ME.. wearing jeans.  I LIVE in jeans and have since I was about 5 years old.  I've worn casual or formal dresses and skirts [some of the time], and capris, or nice slacks.  A variety of clothes of one kind or another.

However, after I had been a Christian for a few years, the Lord told me occasionally that I could NOT wear jeans.  The reason wasn't because women aren't supposed to wear them, but because, when I was upset or ready for a "fight" or angry, I would definitely wear jeans, and I would walk like a "tough cookie."  When I was that angry, the Lord would lay it on me to not do that.  Sometimes I obeyed.  Sometimes I didn't.  And the Lord did not let me get away with that behavior.

One time, shortly after moving to Omaha from Redwood City, California, in May, 1974, a good friend thought I was over-reacting to this rule the Lord was laying on me.  That I must misunderstand. Then, frustrated and angry one day, I... wore... them.  And when he saw me working around his house and yard, and I was obviously filled with intensity, he came to me and nodded.  He said I needed to change clothes, that now he understood that it was absolutely true that when the Lord told me to NOT wear jeans, I should NOT wear jeans.

A short time later, after becoming more obedient to the Lord when He told me what to wear or NOT to wear, this ruling issue went away.

Now, I live in jeans.  And, very rarely, do I ever hear that it's not OK.  And the "not OK" isn't usually because of anger.  Simply because of where I'm going, what I'm doing.  The Lord knows and I might not.

I'm very grateful that the Lord prodded me to do what was necessary for my anger level to be reduced, and not allowing me to be bury my furiosity in my jeans -- and refuse to face spiritual reality, healing.   

And because of this my heart was healed.

I'm a grateful lady.


5 comments:

S. Etole said...

And that one pair of earrings always signaled trouble! Smiling at you, my friend.

Patricia said...

I love how God speaks to us so personally. When I was caring for my mother, it was impossible for me to have a restful sabbath, but God made it clear to me that I was NOT to do laundry that day. I was fastidious about keeping mother and her room spotless. Every morning I gave her a bedbath, clean clothes and fresh linens on her bed. With active teenage boys at home and mother's laundry, I felt I had to do laundry every day to stay on top of things, but God told me, "no laundry on Sunday." And He always, always, always redeemed the time for me and it didn't take me anymore time to catch up on the laundry on Monday. God is so good!!!

BTW - I'm always in jeans.

Now Susan needs to tell us about those earrings. =)

Beth said...

The Lord's working with me on relaxing my clothing and being comfortable in casual wear (I wear skirts daily, year round). Fascinating isn't He?!

Floyd said...

Isn't it funny how God has different rules for different people based on our quirks? I think that's a miracle in itself.

I'm glad I don't have to live by that rule!

a joyful noise said...

Usually on Sundays for church, I wear a dress. I love dresses, but as soon as I arrive home, I change into not jears, but some comfortable pants and a blouse. None of that was a directive from God, but if he said no or yes, then it is time to obey. Your anger lesson was learned, so the rule was relaxed. God always knows best.