Tuesday, February 19, 2013

SHAWL GIFT


The 30-hour labor that Dumbari was going through was tough, to say the least.  Her husband, Laxman, was consistent and did whatever he could to help, as long as it didn't go too far over what was acceptable in their Bhutanese culture.  I was the "anytime, everytime, anything" person, however, and had very little sleep, for a total of about 44 hoursI was worn out when this little boy arrived. He was born at 2:42 AM.  From about 4:00 AM until nearly noon, I was home and sleeping. Then, I popped back to see the little one and check on his parents.  Laxman took this picture us us that afternoon; Bisant was about 12 hours old.

This past Sunday evening, the 17th, I received a call from Dumbari, who doesn't speak English very well, and indicated she wanted to come to our house.  They live a couple blocks away.  When she arrived, she came in with 3 bags.  Cereal boxes in one [they have to choose some at WIC, but can't eat them], loafs of wheat bread in another [same reason passing them along], and then, in bag number 3,

a shawl.  She said it was brought a couple weeks ago from Nepal.  More relatives had arrived and, before leaving Nepal, had been told to find a shawl that would be beautiful for me.  Laxman and Dumbari had told them purple [would that be a surprise?], but that wasn't the color they could find.  This is lovely, whether purple or not, and a blessing, and I was just big-eyed and joyful when I opened it widely and saw the colors and the patterns.

When I thanked her ... forced her to let me hug her ... and she was leaving, she handed me some folded up money.  And she said, "He says to have it."  When I unfolded it, I was a bit shocked.  Two twenty-dollar bills.  Why?  And suddenly I knew:

On the way to the hospital for delivery, about 9:30 PM on September 9th, them following me in his car, I was nearly out of gas. I stopped at a station to fill the tank. The hospital is only 4 miles from our house, so it's no big deal, except I didn't want to be at risk if needing to bring his parents in for some reason.

So, yep, this Sunday, 5 months later, he passed approximately the same amount along to me -- obviously a "thank you" gift -- simply because I was doing whatever was needed during the baby's several pre-arrival weeks at the Dr.'s and, then, during delivery.  I'm amazed.

Dumbari also popped a note on my coffee table.  I didn't even see it until yesterday.  This is what it says:

Joine, last time you help me 
for birth baby so that 
I help you but this is so 
small for your help, but you' 
help me so much.

Lots of thank ful of u.
God bless you
thank you,
laxman
 
don't refuse to accept
this OK.

I actually took a picture of myself today wearing the shawl in my office.  Took it so I could share the "shawl" story with you, visually.  Believe me, this has been a blessing.


[And, that "don't refuse to accept" on the note referred to the money, I'm sure.]


And his English writing might not be perfect, but his kindness is.  And hers.  And the others.  Love them.



5 comments:

Carrie said...

This was an amazing post to read. Thank you for sharing!

S. Etole said...

A beautiful gift for you as you were for them.

Floyd said...

What an awesome extended family you have. I remember when Bisant was born. You are the hand of our Father, Joanne. Nice job, sister. God bless you!

Gayle said...

The shawl is lovely, just like your spirit!

Unknown said...

What a thoughtful and an amazing way to express their gratitude to you! Your shawl is very beautiful just as you are. Many blessings.