Monday, January 7, 2013

HOMESICK -- ANYTIME, ANYWHERE



=================
This is me.  My husband said so.

Back in September, 1999, when Dave and I were in Uganda for Sam's, our Ugandan son's, wedding, we were staying on the New Hope Uganda orphanage compound in the house of a British family, the Casebows, who were in England for a break time.  They had kids they homeschooled and always had lots and lots of books for them.  Dave and I, both being "bookies" [of the proper type] read and read some more.  

While reading some of the UK history books for kids, Dave picked this one up and read it.  As he did, and saw the description of this author, he handed it to me and said, "It's you."

I wrote the words in a notebook.  When we returned from Uganda and, later, was up in northern Minnesota visiting my dear friend, Susie, she had begun to be creative on her computer.  [I wasn't, then; still ain't nearly as good as she is.]  She typed the words in and found flower of my style and my color to fit the story.  Printed it and gave it to me and I've had it on my dresser all these years.

The truism?  If I go somewhere, see new things, new people, meet friends, help others or receive necessities for life, I always miss those places and those people.

However, my dear Ugandan sons, daughters, grandkids, and international friends who live and work there, are the ones I desire to see more and more.  I SO miss living in Uganda with my dear ones.  But I love all my family and friends here and in England and other places, too, so I don't tend to want to stay one place all the time.  I like to travel around and about.

So, I am "perpetually homesick."   [As long as I'm not away from my husband for too long!  Then I'm not "homesick" as much as I am "hubbysick".]

Tell Me a Story

7 comments:

a joyful noise said...

We don't want you to be too hubby sick, as he needs you with him. Your examples of being home sick is understandable when you love your friends, and sons, and desire to see them more often, and then back again to being home sick for home. One of these days we will be "home" for good and no more being sick. Thank you for sharing at Tell me a Story.

Gayle said...

This reminds me of the saying, "we never really leave a place we love. We take part of us with us, and leave a part of ourselves behind." Oh yes... I've left a part of myself in many places!

Anonymous said...

I can so relate to this, every place I have ever visited, I have loved and had discussions with Mr. Joe about the possibility of making it my home, but then I go somewhere else and have the same feelings. Blessings to you!

Unknown said...

Since some of us have not traveled to other countries far away from us, we do not tend to feel so home sick but we do love and miss the people like you who keep coming into our lives for a certain period of time and then you leave. Indeed as you leave, you leave a special portion of your lives in us and you take a special portion of lives with you. Yes, Richard was among the best readers as a read a good number of books to his kids on a daily basis. Many blessings.

Floyd said...

A big heart has a lot of love to give... and leaves a piece of the heart everywhere she goes...

Nina said...

What a lovely phrase with the flowers ... We somehow share a piece of our hearts with the people we're with - and got a piece from theirs ... longing to reunite again! Cherish the moments you've had with the dear ones - maybe one day is the day of reuniting again?!

S. Etole said...

Rarely spent time on the computer in those days, but I can remember the day we did this. You made a special one for Renae at the same time.