Sunday, September 8, 2013

THE "BUFFALO" STORY

OK.  Been grinning about this for ages and never written the story.  So, gotta do it.  Hopefully, you'll grin, too! And even though it's not focusing on the Lord's wonder, it sure is filled with the wonder of our wedding and honeymoon and how life entered in a fun and blessed way.  So here goes...



On September 21st, we will have our 28th anniversary.  On September 22nd, 1985, we reached my dear friend, Susan's for our honeymoon.  It was great.  We slept on a mattress in the living room, the head of it up against the large window area so we could look up at the skies and the trees and moon.  It was almost like camping outside, but blessed by none of the cold or wind or bugs [or bears].  It was a real treat.


We spent some time going out and about.  It was Dave's first time to be at Itasca State Park where Mississippi River begins.  Then to Clearbrook or Bemidji.  Around and about so Dave would see her family, meet her pastor.  It was just a wonderful few days. 
[Dave also was cooking, which was one of his favorite things to do.  Did then, does now. He's great!] 




One day, Dave and I went on a drive and took her son, Jay, with us.  We were probably heading to a nearby town.  We followed a large truck that was filled with piles of bales of hay.  Suddenly, one of the bales flew off the truck and hit the road in front of us.

"Oh, that poor buffalo!"  [I don't remember if it was Dave or Jay; we just laughed so hard, so suddenly.]

WELL, life changed for us a bit.

Eventually, on Friday, after 4 full days at Susan's, we were heading to Lake Superior.  I'd never been there.  It was chosen by Dave, because, since he knew I was very "mountain and ocean" oriented, having been raised in the Northwest,and, now living in Nebraska for several years, and knew I couldn't trot round and about and see them any more, he knew I'd love the Lake, I'd love the high hills, the forest, the falls. [And I DID fall in love with them!  Still am in love with them.]

We were about an hour from Susan's, on a side highway, heading further north first, when suddenly we saw a field of bales of hay.  Dave hit the brake and pulled to the side of the road.  Crazy as we were, we climbed over the fence and Dave climbed onto a "bale" and I stood next to it, just showed how I loved it. What a hoot!


We, BTW, had a wonderful long, long day drive on Saturday, having arrived in the north end of the North Shore, going up into Thunder Bay,Ontario, Canada, and then, while stopping here and there on the Shore or at the State Parks, we went all the way down to St. Paul, MN, to be with his family.  We got there really late at night.  We had a reception the next day, which was a lovely treat.

WELL, the bales of hay entered my mind and my heart.  So, occasionally, if I was driving past them, and had a funny thought, I would pull over and take a photo.  Gained several, over time.









A few years ago, to give my husband a very special anniversary gift, I dug out those photos, wrote the titles on them, and put them in a photo frame that showed 8 of them.  

It was funny!  Dave loved it.  It has been hanging on his office or studio wall all this time.  And filled with laughter.  His piano students, our "office" visitors, and family and friends always roll their eyes and chuckle.

Hope you'll chuckle, too.

[Oh, and people think I'm so serious about so much.  And, in a way, that's quite true.  However, I also have a funny side...and what happened with this is one of them.]

Tell Me a Story

7 comments:

a joyful noise said...

Thank you for taking us with you on your honeymoon and for the delightful story about the hay. Thank you for sharing at "Tell Me a Story."

Alison said...

What great memories, my dear! Joining you in celebrating your anniversary. All the best, Cary-Jo! Here's to another 28 years of marriage, and then some!

S. Etole said...

I think the buffalo corral is my favorite.

Floyd said...

These are the type of memories that are more precious than all the jewels in the earth. Great... now I won't be able to pass a roll of hay and not think about it being a buffalo!

Kym said...

Fun story!! Thanks for sharing it, and for visiting my blog.

As long as I can remember, my family has referred to the round bales as "cinnamon rolls" LOL

Linda said...

Oh what a fun post!
We live on a large family farm, and those haybales, I mean, buffaloes, have turned into pirate ships and airplanes and lookout towers and all sorts of things, right before my very eyes.
Oh, yes, they make a terrific archery range, and can be the cause of broken arms, as well.
I've enjoy sharing a good chuckle with you this evening - thanks so much for visiting over at Apron Strings & other things!

Sharon said...

Saw you mention this post over at Jason's blog. What a fun story! Looks like you and Dave have a great sense of humor, and that you enjoy laughing! What a blessing.

I will never look at a bale of hay the same way again!

Thanks for making me giggle today!

GOD BLESS!