Friday, September 13, 2013

PEACE WALK

Two ladies and pastor opening with prayer.
Went to a special event  only a couple miles from my house. It was referred to as Peace Walk and was drawn together by 2 ladies who had lost family members that were murdered -- mostly brothers or sisters. Overall, there were a  couple-hundred people who were at the park for this event. [BTW, I saw a few of us from First Responders, who also was Barbara, the left side on the photo, and her Pastor, Bruce, a good friend of mine and a great FR leader.]   Many of the people who had arrived were also family members of many people murdered. They carried posters, wore shirts with the photos on them, spoke more and more about their sorrow and serious circumstances.

One man I met, Racine, and spent some time with, who I'd
never seen before, really touched my heart. He was crying.  His daughter had been murdered while sleeping with her man in an apartment. Actually, they both were murdered in the middle of the night and the young family kids, Racine's grandkids, were the ones who discovered
them in the morning. It was actually one of the most horrific First Responder events I had attended. I was heartbroken then. WELL, I was comforting Racine tonight; he was so heartbroken he was sobbing on the shoulder of a friend and I, who had just met him, had my hand on his arm.
 
After we talked, and his wife came by and gave him a yellow
rose, he gave it to me. I brought it home. And it has his daughter's bracelet that was passed around and about to everyone.  I actually met him after a kid had handed it to me and I had put it on my wrist, even though I didn't know for sure who she was.  NOW she'll be in my house forever.
 
 Oh, and Racine was singing a song to the Lord
the last time I saw him, the tears flowing down his cheeks. We truly connected. He told me where he lives, and, if I'm ever going through that neighborhood, not far from the park, I'll try to find him.  It was a heart-connecting few minutes. 

Another lady, Terry, whose son had been murdered in March, '08, 3 months before I became involved with FR, we talked momentarily and I took the photo of the poster. Terry told me where she goes to church, and I've definitely known many there for years. I was able to hold her and hug her and pray over her.  
 
This event was heavily on my heart. Heavily. Met so many new people, saw a few good friends, and definitely knew I was supposed to be there. When I left the house, climbed into my car, and started down the street, I felt the Lord touch me and prod me forward.  No questions asked, definitely. 
 
While the walk was taking place on one of our main streets, not long after rush hour, cars honked, people rejoiced, people waved.  
 
 
When I first saw Racine and his wife and a friend holding his daughter's large poster right by the street, I decided I wanted to take a picture.  WELL, to do that I had to back up to the middle of the two lanes on our side of the road.  Kept being sure the light was not green.  And was quite relieved when I got it done and got off the road in time.
 
 
So now....
 
 
 AMEN!!

No comments: