Monday, September 16, 2013

9/11 AND" SHIRLEY"

Depression had hit me over this whole national/world-wide event, and I needed to "run away from home."  To head out to the NW and be on the Oregon coast, resting, sounded like a really good idea.  BUT, financially and "timely", it wasn't gonna work out.  Dave and I decided I could go to the North Shore of Lake Superior, about 600 miles, drive the van so I could find a campground and sleep in it, and stay as long as needed.  I reached there at October 1, and I was only there for four days. It truly became a spiritual healing time.  One of the many blessings was that Dave and I could talk every evening at the Tettagouche St. Pk. building.  That kept me moving along, heart-filled.



I wrote stories, poems, historical issues.  I cried, I prayed, I laughed. And I met some wonderful people, who I introduced to Dave during our next visit up there, the next summer, and they are still involved with us. Dear ones.


On Wednesday evening, October 3, I attended a Baptist Church a few miles from the park.  In the church basement, about twenty people sat around tables, singing, praying, sharing needs.  I felt comfortable and accepted -- they must often have “drop-ins” from the nearby campgrounds.  A lady across the table invited me to come to lunch on Thursday.  Since I intended to leave on Friday morning and had a free day ahead of me, I accepted.

Well, when I woke up Thursday morning, I knew I was released to go home, and, since it’s that 600-mile trip, I would reasonably have left early in the day.  I put the trip home off until after lunch.  That morning I bought a muffin and hot
chocolate and carried it to a rocky outcropping and sat in the sun and reveled in the kindness and closeness of God.  The photo shows my foot -- a visual reminder that whatever the circumstances there are constant events in life that can "hit" us, and can be rocks, water, or breaking waves.  And no matter what is happening, we can worship and trust the Lord.

During lunch, I had a very sweet time of fellowship with Prue, who I had met at the church.  This was a gift, a neat cap to my personal retreat. (And her chocolate chip cookies are about the best I’ve ever had. Do you think those who give a cookie to a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward?  Sure gave MY spirits a boost and made the trip home sweeter.)


This is one of my funniest poems.  Hope you enjoy it.  I sent it to her some weeks later, and she laughed and laughed.  THAT was a blessing.

===================================

    SHIRLEY

Not really Shirley, but similar and good example.

During lunch
    with a new-found friend,
Her pet swirling around our feet,
She kept commanding,
 "Shirley, stay down!" or
 "Shirley, off the chair!"

And I wondered, and pondered,
    and thought --
        but didn't ask --
"Why would anyone name a dog 'Shirley' ?"
[I wasn't even sure whether 
it was male or female --
    must I confess such ignorance?]
But still -- Shirley?!

As I was leaving,
    settling into my car,
She suddenly said,
    "I bet you've been wondering
        why I call my dog Shirley.
It reminds me that 
'Surely goodness and mercy 
will follow me'."
And she trailed into a laugh ..
 which I joined.
[a most pleasant way to say goodbye].

Now forever,
    with the image of a middle-sized,
        black and white, shaggy dog
 Superimposed --
    Psalm 23, Verse 6 will never be the same.

Tell Me a Story

2 comments:

a joyful noise said...

Dave is so understanding to let you run away by yourself to heal and have a retreat. I love the poem about Shirley. Thanks for sharing here at "Tell Me a Story."

Floyd said...

Awesome story and poem... You are amazing how you just get up and go. I wanna be like you! Thanks for the inspiration. "Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever!"