Sunday, August 4, 2013

STELLA, MY UGANDAN GRANDDAUGHTER


I was asking the Lord, when I was working out in the yard, what I could share.  This was dropped in.

Stella, my dear Ugandan granddaughter, was born July 12, 2001.  We miraculously received baby photos within about 3 weeks, because a pastor who was visiting their working/living place, New Hope Uganda, returned to Texas and mailed them to us.  What a treat.

We were also very happy for Sam and Adhe, our Ugandan son and daughter who married in September, 1999, -- and, of course, some would say daughter-in-law, but we can't pull that off.  Adhe is our daughter.  Period.  

When I arrived in Uganda, November 13, 2003, Sam and Adhe arrived at the Entebbe airport to take me to their place, and Stella greeted me very officially as "Grand Ma".  And she was a little one who was piled with flowers to give them to me.  What a treat.

Off and on, during that next 3 months, when I was back and forth from Soroti, I spent hours with them, although I stayed in another house, because they didn't have room for me.  It was a truly delightful time.






In the summer of 2008, they came here.  Partly to have time with a week-long conference that was kept in Indiana and that organization paid for their airfare and allowed them to land here.  I drove them out to the conference and back a week later.  That summer we were together for several weeks.



Dave and I have missed them terribly.  I have been so blessed to receive emails from Sam, Adhe, and Stella.  She's quite an amazing typist, and from what I've been told, very good with computer-issues.  Who'd a thunk that of a young Ugandan until this new world expanded so far.  Anyhow, she has her dad's skills.  (Dave started teaching him when we were in Uganda in '94/'95, when he was our son over there, and he learned quickly.)

When she turned 12 last month, I felt guilty that I hadn't contacted her.  I was so around-and-about in the Northwest and so on-and-off computers, and I couldn't grab emails since my laptop had died just as I was on the trip.  [When one of my blog "granddaughters", Elise, who is going to Uganda late this month for a 15-month serving term, I'll be sending gifts with her to reach out to my many dear ones.  I certainly want something that will please and bless Stella.  Elise is going to try to reach them during the first month.  YIPPEE!!  Wish I could be in the gift bag.]

This could be a Facebook story; but it's one of MY stories, too.  Love her and her family so very much, SO much!


Anyhow, couldn't not send this out and about. 

Tell Me a Story
 

4 comments:

Judy said...

Hello Caryjo,

This story is so precious! Really touched my heart! Thanks for visiting my blog. May God continue to bless you with a compassionate and gracious heart toward his people.

Blessings,
Judy

a joyful noise said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely story about Stella at "Tell Me a True Story." It is amazing how quickly children can pick up computer skills. She can be an internet blessing at an early age!!

Floyd said...

What a blessing for all of you. God is amazing. When we open our hearts He just pours in the blessings. You're a great example of opening a heart for our Father and letting His love shine forth.

Nannette said...

How precious! You are blessed to have grandbabies around the world! What a wonderful story ♥