Tuesday, May 1, 2012

SO MUCH, TOO MUCH, NOT MUCH

“Why do you put so much on yourself?” asked my son
    when I told him I was "running away from home".

“I don’t,” I said, defensively, I’m sure.

        [but I do!]

I put on:
    others’ offenses
    others’ responsibilities
    the world’s cares, and
    the cares of this world.

I’m strong -- but not strong enough.

God knew that.

That’s why He told me to not put on:
    others’ offenses
    others’ responsibilities
    the world’s cares, and,
    the cares of this world.
==========================================
This poem was written a few weeks after 9/11 when depression suddenly overwhelmed me and I was preparing to drive 600 miles to the North Shore to restore my heart and mind.  As Steve indicated, I have tended to be muchly overwhelmed with responsibility... even when it's simply not mine.  In my present day, this life-long tendency has much reduced.  Instead, MUCH of my life is filled with blessings, and I am no longer a magnet that draws towards me nearly as much responsibility.
=================================
Word Carnival:  Much.  [Would you have figured that out?  I think so.]

4 comments:

SimplyDarlene said...

And you are writing from a literal big blessing fount right now, aye? Give her a hug for me, please.

Also, we women folk are built to carry a lot, but sometimes we tuck too much into the load.

Thanks for sharing this.

Blessings.

Mari-Anna @flowingfaith said...

I loved it! Thanks so much! We really are not meant to carry burdens on our shoulders...Jesus has already done it. If we only remembered that...!!!
Much love & blessings!

a joyful noise said...

JoAnne you have a big heart. Yes, we can say a prayer for others, then allow God to do what He has promised. Casting our care and the care of the world onto the shoulders of He who has wide shoulders to carry it all.

Carol said...

Your post is a good reminder that Jesus invites us to bring our burdens to Him. Thanks for sharing your poem.