Thursday, May 3, 2012

SERIOSITY

Back in the 1950s, Mickey Mouse Club had a song that has stuck in my head forever.  These are the lyrics and, animal lovers, it is not nice IF it's not understood about the cat's 9 lives.

Curiosity, people say,
Killed the kitty cat one fine day
Well, that may be true but hear me say,
Here is what you do for curiosity.

Get the en-cyclopedia E-N-C-Y-C-L-O-P-E-D-I-A
Get the en-cyclopedia E-N-C-Y-C-L-O-P-E-D-I-A
=============
Now, as I aged and this song has rumbled through my brain, the word "curiosity" is not the one that fits my character.  It is a fake word:  seriosity.

I've walked through life with an intense look on my face and a driving force in my heart.  Both before and after my salvation, although I'm nicer now.

Sometimes, however, things happen that make me laugh... loudly, rowdy.  I have a very intense sense of humor, just as, mentioned earlier, an intense view of life.

Then occasionally God drops something in that makes me roar and never forget the incident.  This is one.

In May, 1992, I was taking a friend to a variety of places in Colorado and Utah to teach her a few historical and geographical aspects.  One of our locations was Bryce Canyon.  LOVE seeing that place.  
 As we were heading out, a group of people were on a flat, grassy area and they were feeding prairie dogs.  I'd never seen or done anything like that and had no idea I could do it.

But, I DID.  And feeding that little "dog", being touched on my hand, made me grin big time.  
And then, glancing a minute later, one of its family was coming out of the ground and I took a picture at just the right moment.

This week, one of my projects while visiting Susie in the "North" is scanning hundreds of photos from years ago.  When I pulled this batch out of the box and saw those "dog" pics, I grinned again.

Yes, "seriosity" is my character definition -- some people would consider it a defect -- but this makes me happy and so pleased that I could have this fun minute or so in Utah nearly 20 years ago.

Oh, and, just for your info... I am also a "curiosity" addict.  The song lyrics work the same way for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love prairie dogs. Growing up on the Kansas plains, I saw lots of them on my Daddy's farmlands. I never got close enough to feed them, but I laid under the
car, over the hood, through the doors of the back seat to take pictures of them without frightening them. I love hearing them talk and whistle to each other.

Thank you for the pictures and for the memories. It made me smile.

Love,
Me

a joyful noise said...

"Seriosity", now that is a good word. We can be very serious when we need to be - but also able to laugh and enjoy humerous events. I tend to be a serious person, because it takes one to make quality decisions. I believe we must be very serious about our walk with the Lord and our obedience to Him.

Beth said...

I had no idea prairie dogs would come out like that and let you feed them---how fascinating! I would love such a moment!
I'm not sure what word best describes me, but I don't think it's either of those, not that I don't have some of both in me.
If I had to come up with a word, it would be eclectic. I'm a little bit of this and that and somehow it all mixes together like an eclectic decorating style except it's me not furniture! ;>)