Monday, October 22, 2012

WILLIAM, JOSIE WALES, AND GOD

I'm probably never going to be able to tell you all the wonderful... and sometimes scary ... events that occurred.  But I can't NOT tell this one.  God's sense of humor just makes me grin and grin again.

I'll begin with the ending.  How's that?  Won't be so boring or confusing.

I was stopping at rest areas rather often, because I could take pictures of the tall hills, beautiful trees, rivers, rainbows, and history info.  I was driving towards a western portion of Montana, and a rest area didn't seem to have a lot of surrounding nature.  Decided to skip it.  Then, at the last sign is said, "History".  I thought, "Gotta do it."  So I pulled in.

I was the only person.  I took a couple photos of the sign and its info.

Then a pickup truck pulled in and a man got out and said, "It's you AGAIN!"

When I looked at him, saw the dog, I laughed and said, "It's a God thing."

We then talked for a few minutes, both laughing, and sharing about our lives and our plans.

So, THIS is the beginning and here are the photos.


William and Josie Wales

NOW, this is the explanation of how it happened.

I had left Dickinson, ND, on Friday morning.  Had a lovely evening visiting our friends we knew at the orphanage in Uganda.  They were a treat!



My first stop was at the Badlands scenic view at a rest area. 

[see the buffalo?]
 
While I was there I ended up talking to a man and noticed his dog had a red bandana around its neck.  The man said he was going to Portland and Vancouver to see his son and daughter and we both indicated the trip would go well.

I hit the road.

I stopped at a rest area about a hundred miles later.  The reason I stopped?  One of the most amazing rainbows I had ever seen.  SO WIDE!  [Photo didn't come out well, compared to the scene, but couldn't not stop and try.]

As I was driving away through it's long circle, I saw a dog running in the grass section and it had a red bandana.  I looked at the man nearby, hit the horn and waved.

That night I stayed just near Butte, MT.  I left earlier than I planned, didn't stop for breakfast.  Just hit the road.

A few rest areas later, I pulled into that empty one and that's when the man and dog showed up and the laughing began.

Then, as we talked, and shared where we lived and where we are going, both to and from.  He lives in northern Wisconsin, small town.   Then we began to discover what we believe in the Lord, churches we attend, how we rely upon Him and His way of leading us to help others.  We took photos of each other, prayed, and blessed each other as we were leaving.  He took a photo of my license plate, too, because he liked the message on it.

We shared cell phone numbers and emails.  Already been in touch.  Hoping to connect in Vancouver late next week when I am there with a friend.  He was so excited about telling his son what had happened.  I called my husband immediately.

This covered about 500 miles with piles and piles of stops and rest areas and road issues.  William is now a friend and we are convinced the Lord wants to use us separately and together to serve Him in whatever bit and pieces are dropped in.

Is this too long?  Possibly.  Could it be shorter?  Don't think so.

I grinned and smiled and rejoiced for a long time.  Now it's in your hearts, too. 

[I'm sitting on the floor in the Tacoma Mall, and some of the wireless stuff has been interrupting and forced me to redo and redo... so if the writing doesn't look the same, it's b/c I can't fix something.  Won't be home for two weeks.  It will be tougher at various places until then.  Sorry.]

7 comments:

a joyful noise said...

God is amazing and I enjoyed your story of meeting a friend who also loves the Lord. We were just talking the other day, about our trips across country and how we would see the same cars and people, even when we stopped and spent the night. Thanks for sharing at Tell Me a Story.

caryjo said...

Yes, Hazel, it was amazing. I just arrived from the mall... one tired cookie ... but so pleased to have posted this blessed true story. [More to follow, believe me!]

Ruthie H. said...

Ha! I love those God-ordained "coincidences"! : ) I have loved following your journey so far. Blessings on you as you travel and touch lives. :)

Anonymous said...

Makes me grin too, I think the Lord provided an angel to accompany you in the person of man and dog. I'm so glad you could connect even on the floor of a store so we would be blessed as well. Can't wait to hear more.
Me

Gayle said...

An amazing story, an amazing God! I look forward to an adventure today as well!

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Where are you in your journey now? Following along, of course. :)

Art Bliese said...

Thanks for taking the time to post interesting "God things" that happened to you. Blessings on your continue journey.