Thursday, November 17, 2011

FACEBOOKING

I had my photo and name on there for at least 2 years. Got involved for a short time and then decided it just wasn't "my" thing. Except for the occasional whip-through, or checking on someone specific, I simply didn't do it.

A couple weeks ago, the Lord reminded me of something. In the past, I wrote hundreds
of letters a year.

In fact, I have a file cabinet drawer that is filled with letters to and from Uganda from 1989 to 1996 when Dave and I were very involved. In those days, faxing and phone calling was limited over there. Long-distance calls were generally expensive over here. Writing letters was the cheap way to go.

A few years ago, when postage stamp cost increased and emailing became the least expensive way to handle communication, as much as I didn't want this to become a no-option zone, it did. Now, I rarely send a letter unless I know the person doesn't have access to a computer and I don't have their phone number.

As a consequence, I also stopped being a true communicator. I used to write really good letters, long with lots of info and lots of good stories in the mix. Emails weren't quite the same. Mostly catch-up and boring or questions; not much of what I consider "sweetness and light".

And to me, FB was MORE than the same when it came to that.

Well, when the Lord laid it on me a few days ago, the reason was because I must return to a lifestyle that is heavily involved in communication. I needed to set aside my eye-rolling attitude, to try to connect and reconnect with friends and family. To start reading FB bits and pieces several times a day, make comments and keep these people in my heart every day, not just floating in the back of my mind, since I hadn't heard from or seen them for months or years.

So, in this short time, between reading blog posts more faithfully and reading FB, I've buried myself onto my computer. The result? I've enjoyed communication, have been able to stick my own thoughts and events out, and I've gained more and more than I ever expected I'd lose.

The Lord is so kind to push buttons and move us forward when we simply haven't desired to go a certain way. I'm grateful that He did. I hope more and more doors will open and the results will reveal His purpose.

Some of the bloggers I've been paying attention to are also the reason I'm taking this FB time. I truly respect them and their life-focus. If they can see the value of FB-ing, then I most certainly should be able to "grow up" in that new phase of life -- and quit digging in my heels so I don't have to move forward.

6 comments:

Ruthie H. said...

Some good thoughts here! Facebook has its advantages and disadvantages (just like everything else), but I really enjoy it for helping to stay connected with folks back home and others around the world. :)

Beth said...

I've been wondering about Facebook. You gave me food for thought.

I used to be a huge letter writer too.

S. Etole said...

Dear Joanne,

Smiling at the delightful way in which you "spill your ink" and bless us with your words.

Blessings,

Susie

Unknown said...

nice
Logo Design

a joyful noise said...

Two years ago, my daughter encouraged me to start a blog and write my stories about my childhood, and my children. She also said "Get on FaceBook and on Twitter." The reason was so that I could announce each time I did a new post. I also have an e-mail group list that I send notices to who are not on facebook. This way your letters could be on your blog, and notify where they are on Facebook. Just a suggestion. If you prefer to have a separate blog for your letters, simply have two. One for letters and your present one.

a joyful noise said...

face book messages are temporary and disappear after a time. Same with E-mail as too much space is taken. A letter blog is on Google if you like google so it is not on your hard drive.