Monday, July 25, 2011

HENRIK IBSEN

"Our lives should be pure and white tablets whereon God can write."

I saw this Ibsen quote on a statue in Tacoma, WA, at Wright's Park on Mother's Day when we were having our "Mom's ashes event". The statue with its quote thoroughly impressed and filled me with questions. I had heard of this playwright, of course, and remembered some of his plays from high school and college when we had to read them. I didn't like them at all. UH, UH!!

So, as I said, when I saw his statue with this statement, I was a bit surprised. So, here 'tis.














Obviously, according to the Norwegians who had the statue placed at the park in 1918, there was a lot of respect. However, I looked him up on line, hoping there would be an indication of a character change, post-playwright ... but his known character fit right into the plays right up to his death. Nothing godly.

And, yet...

His statement is so thoughtful and creative... and just WHERE did it come from?

Thought I'd toss it out at you, too. You can "Hmmm" right along with me.

2 comments:

S. Etole said...

In light of Norway's recent tragedy, it adds another level of meaning.

My heart and prayers go out to them.

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

A beautiful quote...if only we could all live the sentiment--I keep on trying!